Top 91 Players of All Time - The Full List from 91 - 1!

The best threads archived for eternal enjoyment.
jpuncheonstar

Re: Top 91 Players of All Time - 50-41

Greg Heald was a decent defender!

Never forget southend at home season 99/00 where he scored a comical own goal, immeadiatley after whilst lying on the ground he is kissed/whispered something in the ear by Martin Carruthers, Healdy gets up and chases after him! Both got sent off!
rudebwoyben

Not as far as I remember. We finished 4th in 01/02 so the team performed for the most part that season. 2002/03 was just a nightmare in terms of injuries, Arber being a cnut and the club's need to cut the wage bill.
Sam_BFC

What penalty did Simon Clist score against Carlisle?
Jon83

Sam_BFC wrote:What penalty did Simon Clist score against Carlisle?
He didnt... however during that game (after we'd been crowned champions), we were 1 nil down, penalty in front of the North Terrace - the whole ground 'invites' Clist to take the penalty and he duly obliges... he steps up (having walked all the way up the pitch from the 'left back position'), and side foots it over the bar!
Moonchild_Bee

I was particularly partaken that game, and had a few obstructing my view, and have yet to see Grazs' equaliser. If anyone has it online, i'd love to see it!
Sam_BFC

Jon83 wrote:
Sam_BFC wrote:What penalty did Simon Clist score against Carlisle?
He didnt... however during that game (after we'd been crowned champions), we were 1 nil down, penalty in front of the North Terrace - the whole ground 'invites' Clist to take the penalty and he duly obliges... he steps up (having walked all the way up the pitch from the 'left back position'), and side foots it over the bar!
Ahhh, you know I didn't even recall that at all :oops:
Moonchild_Bee wrote:I was particularly partaken that game, and had a few obstructing my view, and have yet to see Grazs' equaliser. If anyone has it online, i'd love to see it!
That I do remember...it must be on the season DVD if someone can rip it.
rudebwoyben

I think the reason why Clisty took the penalty was that he was the only one out of all of the outfield players who hadn't scored that season.
I remember the East Terrace inviting him to shoot during our 7-1 victory over Farnborough (with Jake Cole in goal) as well.
barnetdan

Re: Top 91 Players of All Time - 91-51

haha its a quality idea!
Moonchild_Bee

rudebwoyben wrote:And it's good to see Frank Murphy on the list as well. He always brought a bit of guile into any match he played. I remember a particularly good cameo performance by him in our FA Cup replay win at Northampton Town in 90/91 and of course the part he played in transforming our moribund title challenge towards the end of that season crowning it with the goal of the season against Welling Utd.
Scored the only 2 goals in my first game. Coming on as sub against York in 1991. I remember walking away laughing at how funny it was, because apparently he was a part time footballer and part time pub landlord. At least that's what someone told me. Still don't know whether that's true!
Jimbokav1971

I had never heard of Frank Murphy until now, (thanks by the way), so I have had a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S-hZ47IVp0

The goal is after about 50 seconds.
antbfc wrote:
"He owes everyone a naked run... His opinion is invalid"
rudebwoyben

Scored the only 2 goals in my first game. Coming on as sub against York in 1991. I remember walking away laughing at how funny it was, because apparently he was a part time footballer and part time pub landlord. At least that's what someone told me. Still don't know whether that's true![/quote]

I went to that match as well. Frank was a part-time pub landlord as well, and a heavy smoker as well. Did a decent job as Hendon manager a few years ago.
Moonchild_Bee

Top 91 Players of All Time - 40-31

The countdown continues.... this week we enter the realms of our top 40 favourite players.

So, a bit of controversy with our very own jailbird woman beater, part time greengrocer, and a captain that deserted us for a fascist. And who voted for Bobby Brown (I suppose it's your prerogative :hi: )?

Hopefully someone can tell us more than me about John Fairbrother and Gerry Ward than me..

But I recently came across an old bees home programme (back from the ITV digital days) where our captain of the time Johnny Doolan had just signed a 5 year contract (the best ever for a Barnet player it proclaimed). Obviously this didn't have a relegation clause, but at the time, our marginally overweight scouser was one of the best passers in the league. I still believe that the stream of passes into touch were more due to the lack of skill of his colleagues that his desire to be an overambitious Jan Molby. Thus he struck at times an almost physic relationship with Darren Currie.

I still do have flashbacks to some of his sliding tackles: tended to be telegraphed, on wet pitches, with two feet and studs showing and typically he launch himself into them at least 10 metres before making contact with his intended targets ankles. Yet I can't remember him being sent off.

And to Mark 'Spike' Carter who profited immensely from the media focus on Gary Bull. 2 x 20 goal a season strikers. What a luxury. And little mustached Mark (can anyone confirm - did he work on in a fruit market in Liverpool?) - had more pace than can be imagined. But i'd like to thank him for my two most memorable celebrations - the winner against Blackpool in the Play Offs 1st leg, and the opening goal against Charlton in the FA Cup - massive, vocal bees crowds - thank you Spike :ohlord:

40 Bobby Brown
39 Marlon King
38 Scott McGleish
35 Joey Devera
35 John Fairbrother
35 Mickey Tomlinson
34 Spike Carter
33 Gerry Ward
32 Lee Hodges
31 John Doolan
jerroll

Re: Top 91 Players of All Time - 40-31

'I still do have flashbacks to some of his sliding tackles: tended to be telegraphed, on wet pitches, with two feet and studs showing and typically he launch himself into them at least 10 metres before making contact with his intended targets ankles. Yet I can't remember him being sent off. '

He was sent off twice in the 1997/8 season, 1st time for a two footed lunge against Watford in the HSC (by premier ref Mark Halsey!) and against his former club Mansfield right at the end of the season causing him to miss the start of the 98/9 season along with Sean Devine who was sent off against col u
ricardobee

I remember that Gerry Ward was signed up by Dextar Adams in the late 60's. Although in his 30's by then, he slotted in successfully into probably one of the best-non league sides at the time. Not blessed with the greatest of pace he did have though (like the later Kenny Lowe) the ability to pass the ball over many yards and had a fantastic partnership with Colin (Paddy) Powell and made many goals for Les Eason.
Before joining the Bees he was the youngest ever player to play for the Arsenal until Cesc Fabregas took over that honour.

Mark Carter did indeed have a fruit stall in Liverpool and would be up early on Saturday mornings sorting it out before making his way to Barnet with Paul Showler and Kenny Lowe. Those were the days!
pgbee

John Fairbrother spearheaded the team of ageing ex-pros assembled in the Southern Lge Div 1 South season of 75-76 (?) after we'd switched from the dark days of Div 1 North and notched around 36 goals in the season. We won the league easily - also in that team were Wilf Woodend , Marvin Hinton, Walter Lees, Bob McNab, Dennis Brown, Les Eason. We played open attractive football and beat most teams comfortably. We might even have been unbeaten at Underhill that year although I maybe wrong on that. Happy Days for an impressionable schoolboy as I was then. Main rivals were Romford and Hillingdon Borough. One cup tie was memorable for the opposing centre half in a FA Cup qualifying round playing in plimsolls rather than boots.