Top 91 Players of All Time - The Full List from 91 - 1!

The best threads archived for eternal enjoyment.
_ABeeSee_

Re: Top 1 out of 91 Players of All Time - Your Winner Is...

Moonchild_Bee wrote:
And yes, Mark Gower, hasn't he done well for himself. Wouldn't have made my Top 50 though, it just never really worked for him here, although he had his moments. One of my friends would have voted for him for being the first Bees scorer he saw (vs daggers at home in Conference - long range free kick?)
I'll have to get out that conference DVD, to remind myself of what he did. Something to do over xmas...
We're gonna piss this tin pot league
hoofer2

Re: Top 91 Players of All Time - The Full List from 91 - 1!

Can I please add big Dave Regis.

Simply terrifying versus a game against Merthyr under floodlights with East Terrace closed due to flooding...
OB1
Location: Formerly Block C Underhill - Now block E East stand The Hive

Well done to Moonchild Bee for organising this, it has been one of the best threads on this board.

9 of my selections were in the top 20 with Bobby Brown, who most supporters would not have seen, down at number 40.
I failed to include Jason Puncheon in my selections, mainly because there were just too many to choose from.
Prediction League Champion 2019/2020
djhdjh

becbee wrote:I voted for Punch in my top ten but I do find it hard to see how he came 1st when Albert only came 10th.
Puncheon was a better and more exciting player for us and played in teams that did better in league and cup. Albert did really well and could well go on to be our best ever export if he can cement his place in the Ghana team but it's actually quite hard to remember specific great moments or matches he had with us whereas Puncheon had loads of stunning moments and usually did it when it really mattered.

Overall it's clearly skewed by the fact that people had to vote on who they'd seen rather than reputations - good call by MCB as it made it much more interesting with more personal choices.
Pushkin

I'll tell you what I don't understand. I don't understand Jason Puncheon's current contract situation.

He's a Southampton player, but for over a year now he has spent his time on loan at TWO premier league clubs. Blackpool and now QPR. I don't get it. Do Southampton not want him? Why on earth would a championship side loan out a player who is good enough to get into a premier league side?
jerroll

Simple, he has fallen out with Nigel Adkins who didn't even give him a squad number this season and no one has met Soton's valuation so they have loaned him out to save his wages.
MajorBrownEye

Errrrm Andy Clarke anybody? If it is top flight success you are looking for, look no further.

Worth looking at his wikipedia page, it appears he was bought by Ray Clemence and sold in 91 to wimbledon, a founder premier league player and a record signing from a non-league club at the time.

We're a fickle bunch at times.....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
Monsieur Abeille

djhdjh wrote:
becbee wrote:I voted for Punch in my top ten but I do find it hard to see how he came 1st when Albert only came 10th.
Puncheon was a better and more exciting player for us and played in teams that did better in league and cup. Albert did really well and could well go on to be our best ever export if he can cement his place in the Ghana team but it's actually quite hard to remember specific great moments or matches he had with us whereas Puncheon had loads of stunning moments and usually did it when it really mattered.

Overall it's clearly skewed by the fact that people had to vote on who they'd seen rather than reputations - good call by MCB as it made it much more interesting with more personal choices.
Absolutely. Punch was close to the finished product when he played for us, whereas Albert had loads of potential and flashes of brilliance. Albert's star is ascending, and may well go on to be the better player (if he's not already), but for us it was Punch who delivered time and time again.
Moonchild_Bee

MajorBrownEye wrote:Errrrm Andy Clarke anybody? If it is top flight success you are looking for, look no further.

Worth looking at his wikipedia page, it appears he was bought by Ray Clemence and sold in 91 to wimbledon, a founder premier league player and a record signing from a non-league club at the time.

We're a fickle bunch at times.....
Whoops, quite right Major. He left a couple of weeks before my time, but I remember his time at the Don's. Held a record for a while along the lines of most premier league sub appearances or something that was always being wheeled out!
kingpinfid

jerroll wrote:Simple, he has fallen out with Nigel Adkins who didn't even give him a squad number this season and no one has met Soton's valuation so they have loaned him out to save his wages.
One of my friends is a Southampton supporter. Apparently alot of their fans think Puncheon is a big time charlie, who considers himself too good for Southampton FC. He seems to be generally disliked at Southampton.

I know some of our supporters think he was a bit hit or miss, but whenever I saw him (which must have been around 30 of his 80 or so games for us) Puncheon was quality and put in at least at much effort as our other players. Even when he wasn't scoring great/important goals, he was a constant threat by taking on the opposing full back and most teams used 2 (if not 3) players to try and stop him. How do you measure the space he created elsewhere on the pitch by drawing several defenders towards him?
Frods

Imagine my disappointment (though not shock) to see Paul Showler behind both of them. Pretty sure I wrote out around 17-18 names up before deciding on my top 10, neither Puncheon or Adomah made that shortlist, though Puncheon would've been closer.
Moonchild_Bee

I'm nominating this for a Classic Thread purely for all the work I did on it :D

Wonder how different it would look after this season. I daresay there would be at least 4 new players in it (Oster, Davids, Stephens & Stack?).

But i'm not going to do it again. I'll have a think if there is anything to entertain during the quiet months....