Top 91 Players of All Time - The Full List from 91 - 1!

The best threads archived for eternal enjoyment.
MajorBrownEye

Re: Top 91 Players of All Time - No. 3 Giuliano Grazioli

Graz will be hard to topple as THE Barnet legend.

I am rather curious though looking at the link in the opening post of this thread, it says that Mick Bodley scored an own goal. I was totally unaware at the time that he was playing for them, likewise I don't recall Derek PAyne playing for them , although I am sure I was aware at the time. Zeke Rowe on the subs bench? What has happened to my memory?

Etherington of course went on to bigger and better things, including a holiday here in Spain about 2 years ago. He may have played for West Ham too.

Also hard to believe, we had Darren Currie and Scott McGleish on the bench in favour of Charlery and, I guess, Phil Simpson. Those who hanker after the John Still days just have to look back to games like this. He can still be held responsible for my leaving the country!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
BarnetBoy

I put down Graz as my number one because he is the most exciting player I've seen in a Barnet shirt and he was my childhood hero :ohlord:
Moonchild_Bee

MajorBrownEye wrote: Also hard to believe, we had Darren Currie and Scott McGleish on the bench in favour of Charlery and, I guess, Phil Simpson. Those who hanker after the John Still days just have to look back to games like this. He can still be held responsible for my leaving the country!
Yes - there is too much glamorising some of the football played under Still. To put it in context, I cannot remember a single thing Phil Simpson ever did, a single goal he ever scored, but I still dream of some of Currie's passes, backheels and stepovers.

As for that game, we didn't even score our consolation goal. I remember at 9 down the East Terrace launched into 'We want 10' to which Graz turned round and held up 10 fingers to be met with a suitable torrent of abuse. It was one of those days.

This is my favourite Graz goal of all time. I've never felt a release like it (well, at a football match). Graz had gone 15 odd games without scoring, we on the verge of dropping out of the play-offs having won 1 in 10, we just needed one more goal, Graz had missed a hatful in this game alone, and then in the 58th minute...

I've never seen the 95th minute equaliser against Carlisle either - I was there, but someone was in the way getting ready to invade the pitch. If someone can download it, please do!

Anyway, what's your favourite Graz goal?
Pushkin

Moonchild_Bee wrote: I cannot remember a single thing Phil Simpson ever did, a single goal he ever scored,
FA Cup 2nd round 1996 vs Wycombe? Great, curling shot from outside the box, straight into the top corner. :y: :ohlord:
Moonchild_Bee

Top 91 Players of All Time - No. 2.......

In 1993 we finished bottom of the league, a year of dreadful results, football, but happiness as we were still here.
In 1994 Ray Clemence bought in a 20 year old Scotsman from QPR who hadn't featured, but was highly rated.
On 20 September 1994, he announced himself with this: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 50235.html
We then voted him player of the year.
In 1995 we sold him for the highest fee we've ever received for a player (£750-£800,000)
In 2007 we named him our greatest ever player (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... ronts.html)
And in 2011, we remember our second favourite player of all time...

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr Dougie Freedman.

P.S There is a complete lack of Dougie Barnet FC related action, video, pic or report wise online, so feel free to add anything. I do still have the back page of The Sun from the day after the Man Citeh game, but no idea where.. i'll scan if I do find it.
rudebwoyben

Re: Top 91 Players of All Time - No. 2.......

His time with us unfortunately coincided with a spell when I hardly saw us play but his sharp finish against Man City alone made it clear that he was to play at the highest level.
Pushkin

So Uwe Rosler has lost at Underhill, TWICE! haha :geahh:

Sadly I never got a chance to see Dougie play in the flesh. My first Barnet game was a couple of months after he'd left :(
letchbee94

Err Phil Simpson from the half way line at Swansea.
Moonchild_Bee

Wasn't at either of those, sorry!
letchbee94

Yeah but surley you must have heard about it? seen it on tv?

Not many Barnet players score from the half way line :) (I know the keeper was out the goal aswell) ;)
rudebwoyben

Phil Simpson is not an appropriate target to pick if you are going to (quite rightly in my opinion) take off some of the glamourisation of the Still Years. He was a midfielder who provided some guile and skill and Still's tactics definitely didn't suit him. Udo Onwere for a start is someone whose contribution was pretty forgettable. We could have so easily been promoted from Division 3 in 1997/98 except we imploded in the final 6 matches. Even so, the football was far from entertaining.

That Graz goal against Leigh RMI was class. So was his effort after 20 seconds against Leyton Orient in 05/06, and the brace he scored at Crawley Town in 04/05 showed how a striking partnership should work.
rudebwoyben

I think I know who's No.1 in our list..
I think I picked him as my top Bee..

Good result for Dougie today, I hope he gets to lead his team out at Wembley in February (that's when the League Cup final is, isn't it?)
boots

there is one clip available of his most famous goal, go to 28 seconds, coincidentally (for some reason putting in the time code doesn't seem to work here) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckp6_TutcE0#t=0m27s
essexbee

Oh happy days; a player so obviously destined to go on to greater things. I remember beating City that night; had difficulty finding somewhere to park but made it in time to see Dougie do the business in the incessant rain that evening. Sumo had a great night too keeping out Quinn & Rosler amongst others. Sadly the league cup was over 2 legs in those days;City turned us over at Maine Road.
I remember him hitting 4 against Rochdale in a 6-2 win that could have finished 8-8.