Top 91 Players of All Time - The Full List from 91 - 1!

The best threads archived for eternal enjoyment.
Jon83

Re: Top 91 Players of All Time - No. 2.......

There's only 1 Dougie Freedman, 1 Dougie Freedman, walking along, singing a song, walking in a Freedman wonderland!!
Moonchild_Bee

Top 1 out of 91 Players of All Time - Your Winner Is...

You voted him, and convincingly so. We rescued him from park football, have him a short term contract, and he repaid us well.

With stunning goals, performances and a real drive to take the second chance we'd given him. Almost every one of his 17 goals was a goal of the season contender. He turned games around, he drove us forward, and in some dark and dank times, he entertained us. We made money from us, and he went (and continues - albeit less often) to grace the premiership.

I bring you the man you nominated as your favourite player of all time.......

F̶r̶a̶s̶e̶r̶ ̶T̶o̶m̶s̶

rudebwoyben

Re: Top 1 out of 91 Players of All Time - Your Winner Is...

What a moment that was..

And to think that at the time some people were moaning about him.
Evanstribe

Puncheon was a really good player, but best player of all time?! I dont think the average voter can have been watching Barnet that long, if thats the case, because I can think of many better players over the years. Saying that though, he did score some great goals, and has been one of the most successful players post-Barnet in recent years.
Pushkin

Evanstribe wrote:Puncheon was a really good player, but best player of all time?!
I think the poll was for people's FAVOURITE player, not necessarily best... :geahh:
Evanstribe

Ah ok, thats fair enough then, because he certainly was an entertaining player
Moonchild_Bee

Evanstribe wrote:Puncheon was a really good player, but best player of all time?! I dont think the average voter can have been watching Barnet that long, if thats the case, because I can think of many better players over the years. Saying that though, he did score some great goals, and has been one of the most successful players post-Barnet in recent years.
I think the emphasis was more on favourite player.

Obviously there is the argument that you may think we have had 'better' players, but the reality is that very few have been more successful at playing at a higher level. It's not saying much, but in the last 3 decades we've had Gary Bull & Dougie Freedman who didn't really cut it, Maik Taylor who very definitely did, Fitz Hall who we can't count as a Barnet player, and erm...?

Possibly Albert and Nicky Bailey will be going on to be more successful at a higher level, but who else have we had that's actually had the success after leaving us?
Golf Delta

I think this highlights perfectly the average age of voters here... :unsure:
When you're arguing with an idiot, make sure the other person isn't doing the same.
Monsieur Abeille

As you rightly say Moonie, entertained us through some pretty awful team performances. Possibly PF's finest find out of quite a few, and if rumours around at the time were correct, we got there in the nick of time to save his career. There may have been some better players about in the past, but I bet few were as entertaining. A deserving winner.

And well done Moonie on creating this list, a good reminder of just how many great players we've had.
Pushkin

You know, historically we've done pretty damn well in terms of players we've produced/developed who have gone on to much bigger and better things. I'm curious to know if the other small clubs around us can claim the same? Have any Dag & Reg, Accrington, Cheltenham, Torquay...etc..players ended up being Premier League, international players?
Moonchild_Bee

Golf Delta wrote:I think this highlights perfectly the average age of voters here... :unsure:
You may think so, but you'd be wrong, and doing Punch a disservice. Just having a quick look at the lists, the vast majority of those who included him in their top 10 also included players from the 90's, many from the early 90's and our original non-league stint.

I think the fact that he played in a relatively inept team didn't really help.

But at the end (correct me if i'm wrong) we had a midfield of Puncheon - Bishop - Wright - Adomah.

That's a midfield that compares favourably with Showler - Lowe - Payne / Wilson - Willis.
PBBee

Moonchild_Bee wrote:
But at the end (correct me if i'm wrong) we had a midfield of Puncheon - Bishop - Wright - Adomah.
That midfield 4 could easily compete in the Championship in my opinion.
Evanstribe

I would certainly have had puncheon in or close to my top 10, but i've got to admit im suprised that hes made it all the way to number 1. Hes a great player, but I would have expected someone who was a crowd favourite like Harrison, Graz, Hendon, Currie etc to take the number 1 slot. Btw out of interest did Mark Gower make the list? Hes done very well post-Barnet, and I always found him to be a very entertaining player when he played for us. I think he was unfortunate to have been signed by cottee, and to have played in a pretty poor barnet team post relegation.
Frods

Moonchild_Bee wrote:
Evanstribe wrote:Puncheon was a really good player, but best player of all time?! I dont think the average voter can have been watching Barnet that long, if thats the case, because I can think of many better players over the years. Saying that though, he did score some great goals, and has been one of the most successful players post-Barnet in recent years.
I think the emphasis was more on favourite player.

Obviously there is the argument that you may think we have had 'better' players, but the reality is that very few have been more successful at playing at a higher level. It's not saying much, but in the last 3 decades we've had Gary Bull & Dougie Freedman who didn't really cut it, Maik Taylor who very definitely did, Fitz Hall who we can't count as a Barnet player, and erm...?

Possibly Albert and Nicky Bailey will be going on to be more successful at a higher level, but who else have we had that's actually had the success after leaving us?
Think that's a very harsh. Freedman is an absolute legend down at Palace, he played a key role in their promotion to the Premiership and was only the 7th player in their history to score 100 goals for the club.
Moonchild_Bee

Frods wrote: Think that's a very harsh. Freedman is an absolute legend down at Palace, he played a key role in their promotion to the Premiership and was only the 7th player in their history to score 100 goals for the club.
Just to clarify, I meant entirely in the context of the top division. I think he only got one goal for Palace in the premiership (a few more for Forest).

Also, Mark Gower, of course.