Top 91 Players of All Time - The Full List from 91 - 1!

The best threads archived for eternal enjoyment.
torontobee

Re: Top 91 Players of All Time - 91-51

A quick word for 2 of my votes - Steve Brinkman and Alan Walker.

Brinkman was just about our only creative player for 2+ seasons in the early 1980s - a similar player to Richard Graham for those who didn't see him. With the dearth of skill and entertainment in those days he was a very memorable bright player, long flowing blonde hair and a smile always on his face. Had a heart attack one nightmarish evening at Weymouth in about 1984, docs jumping on his chest to revive him in Emergency, witnessed by Barry Fry and others. He survived that one, but died of a susbsequent heart attack about 7 or 8 years later.

Alan Walker was by far our best player in the 1993/4 League One relegation season (signed from ??), holding together a ridiculously patchwork team and a huge part of that amazing 0-0 FAC Rd 3 draw at Chelsea. He deservedly won POY for the season, and at the presentation said that after the events of that season and the prior Summer, that Barnet FC and the Barnet fans had renewed his faith in football.
Mikel Bee

Re: Top 91 Players of All Time - 30-21

I suspect Mcleod doesn't have the benefit of being seen through rose tinted specs yet. When people look back in 5 years time at these darker days, he will be a shining light.
jerroll

Agreed although its easier to judge someone on a full career with us rather mid-term like izale is.
jerroll

Mansfield Brian(hello by the way!!)
torontobee

Hey John! Thought it was but couldn't quite remember. He had had a fair old pro career?
jerroll

Indeed he was a fine pro.
Pushkin

Anyone remember Maik Taylor's cock-up in the cup tie against Wycombe Wanderers at Adams Park? 1997 I think.

The game was live on Sky Sports and it was the first time I'd seen a Barnet game on live TV. I was pretty young and it was the greatest occasion ever as far as I was concerned. Until a weak shot by one of their forwards (John Williams or De Souza, i think) went straight through Maik's hands and we lost the game.

Aside from that, great goalie though. A class act who had premier league written all over him. I think we only paid around £600 for Taylor. Then sold him for half a million. Great stuff.
MajorBrownEye

I first saw Taylor in a pre-season in St Albans and thought he was outstanding. I went on and on about him. He then had a howler in his first league game (Hereford away ?) which shut me up. Despite the odd blip (Orient away?) he was a great signing.

He used to wear cheap Spanish football boots when he was with us, I bet that changed pretty quickly after he moved on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
MajorBrownEye

Moonchild_Bee wrote:
Pushkin wrote:Robert Codner?!!
Nope, I definitely spelt that right!

If it clears things up, one person did specify 'his first spell only'.
What's the second spelling then?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
kingoffootball

MajorBrownEye wrote:I first saw Taylor in a pre-season in St Albans and thought he was outstanding. I went on and on about him. He then had a howler in his first league game (Hereford away ?) which shut me up. Despite the odd blip (Orient away?) he was a great signing.

He used to wear cheap Spanish football boots when he was with us, I bet that changed pretty quickly after he moved on.
That was the first Barnet game I went to. A 3-3 when we needed to win to keep our slim hopes of making the play-offs alive.

My recollection is that Taylor was at fault for all the goals, so he didn't leave a very good first impression on me.
Three-time Conference champions
Moonchild_Bee

Top 91 Players of All Time - 20-11

Time for a change of mood. A look up rather than down. Happy memories. Barnet players that put smiles on your face.

Now we're getting into serious legend territory. Players who get testimonials. Players who are spoken about in hushed tones. Players who get 'God' inserted as a middle name. Players who saved the club even. Captains, Managers, and Assistant Managers amongst them. These are undoubtably Barnet greats.

Although - That's right Reckless - i'm afraid your love-in with suntanned legend Nicky Evans wasn't sufficient for the great man to even make the Top 10. He will from now-on be known as Nicky 'the 11th most popular Barnet player ever' Evans.

20) Paul Wilson
19) Simon King
18) Paul Showler
17) Colin Powell
16) Gary Phillips
15) Les Eason
13) Lee Harrison
13) Andy Clarke
12) Linvoy Primus
11) Nicholas 'God' Evans

Discuss!
Reckless

Re: Top 91 Players of All Time - 20-11

I expected that to be honest MC - Lester Finch isn't even mentioned because of the timing and the amount of younger contributors to the poll. We possibly wouldn't be having these discussions and poll if Lester had not been associated with Barnet FC but he was never going to be part of it - he was even before my time! I just feel terribly sorry for all those supporters who missed out on Sir Nick :ohlord: :*(:
The Number 1, and I think most of us have already worked it out, will be a player from the last decade or less I am sure.
Well done for this by the way matey.
Phil The Force

I was just thinking last night when the next batch of players was going to be announced.
Thanks for doing this, I'm looking forward to the top ten!
jerroll

Can't wait to see how high Fraser Toms finished
Golf Delta

Clearly not enough of us old folk on this board to remember or appreciate the brilliance of Paddy Powell or Les Eason.

Surprised that Nicky Evans didn't make the top 10 (even though I didn't vote for him). I would have thought Mssrs Reckless and Cosgrove would have done all they could to rig the voting for him!
When you're arguing with an idiot, make sure the other person isn't doing the same.