What music are you currently listening to?

This is the "anything goes forum". Come in and talk about whatever tickles your fancy.
Golf Delta

What music are you currently listening to?

OK folks, everyone is usually brave enough to say what music and sports they like, but what musical guilty pleasures would you like to admit to here, something you wouldn't normally be so open about and also, what is your secret passion or hobby in life aside from football? I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours! ;)

Edit - ok, forget this, just let off some steam here about aircraft noise instead! :P
Last edited by Golf Delta on 31 Jan 2011, 22:44, edited 3 times in total.
When you're arguing with an idiot, make sure the other person isn't doing the same.
Moonchild_Bee

Re: Gulity Pleasures and Secret Passions

There are so many!

But musically I'm partial to a bit of Eddy Grant!

Although it's work related, I can normally look up in the sky at an airplane, tell you what model it is, what airline, and more often than not, where it came from, what time it left, the flight number, and how late it is. That, to my mind is very sad!
Golf Delta

What job do you do? (I was an aircraft operations officer at Heathrow for 21 years, so can empathise with your, errmm, talent!)
When you're arguing with an idiot, make sure the other person isn't doing the same.
grrgerald

Time to check out the swear filter !
If there is one thing I hate with a vengeance is ****ing aeroplanes !
Golfie, maybe you could enlighten me as to who was responsible for increasing the traffic over Barnet town. I first noticed it in Jan 2009.

Much to most people's amazement I enjoy a bit of gardening (and a hidden supply of falling over water in my poly tunnel !)
I do not enjoy hearing or seeing the ....ing things when I am at one with nature !!! (or flat on my back chatting to the robins!)
Golf Delta

You get both Heathrow and Luton traffic over Barnet. The airports are responsible for monitoring the noise and controlling it within reason, the CAA are ultimately responsible for airspace policy. You can write to them if you like but unfortunately, they will not be able to take it away or move it....certainly not to fit in with your leisure time or because it disturbs you. Aircraft fly directly over Windsor Castle, even when her maj is in residence, but they are not redirected to please one!

Arrival and departure routes are strictly adhered to and monitored and are designed to have the minimal effect on the population around London. However, they have to be somewhere and it is unfortunate for you that a lot of traffic goes over Barnet. If they were moved, they would be over someone else and the CAA do not respond to NIMBY requests!

If you have noticed an increase in flights, this may be due to more services operating to and from northern Europe, the UK and North America. These flights will always arrive and depart using routes around north London. The arrival routes from here come via the Lambourne beacon at Stapleford airfield near Epping and at Bovingdon near Hemel. The departure routes go over beacons at Brookmans Park and Buzad near Leighton Buzzard.

You can complain if it makes you feel better but I wouldn't expect anything to change. Hope that helps.
Moonchild_Bee

Golf Delta wrote:What job do you do? (I was an aircraft operations officer at Heathrow for 21 years, so can empathise with your, errmm, talent!)
Worked in travel most of my working life - and now run a small niche Tour Operator.

And you can probably confirm this better - Heathrow changes runway use and holding patterns at times of the day to give residents a break from the noise. I've picked up in the last 3/4 years my sunny abode in Gospel Oak seems to get all the 5am-6am long haul arrivals as am constantly being woken up by a 20 year old BA jumbo shaking the house on it's arrival from Hong Kong.
Golf Delta

Here is the runway alternation pattern for this year. Alternation only happens on westerly operations (the wind is coming from the West), ie, landing and departing on 27L and 27R runways. During easterly ops (wind from the east) alternation does not happen. Landings are only on 09L and departures only on 09R. This is because of something called the Cranford Agreement, set up many years ago.

Note the note at the beginning that says both runways can be used for arrivals between 0600-0700 to ease congestion as this is a very busy time of day and delays caused this early can have a knock on effect for punctuality throughout the rest of the day.

Also note that the holding patterns are never changed at any time of day. There are four stacks, at Lambourne, Bovingdon, Biggin and Ockham and these are used depending on where the flight is coming from.

http://www.baa.com/assets/Internet/Heat ... nation.pdf
grrgerald

"NIMBY" requests !!!.....BAH HUMBUG !!!
...well I have had a moan and a chat with MP Theresa Villiers cos someone has to do it. She wasn't aware of an increase, how daft is that ? What about the Essex Corridor shifting to stop planes flying down the Thames so that the prime target of the Houses of Parliament could be protected. I don't give a various about the herberts inside but I fully appreciate that buildings with such heritage should be protected !

I was sent a map of flight paths over London by some plonka in the CAA and it looked remarkably like something that had resulted from the efforts of a 3 year old using a Spirograph. "Thanks", I said.

By the way, I am listening to The Carpenters.
Golf Delta

Re: The Heathrow Airport Noise Complaints Thread!

I can't accurately comment as to whether there has been an increase or not because I retired from there 5 years ago. Regardless of whether there has been an increase or not, my experience of 8 years in flight analysis tells me that though you have a right to complain, I did not actually see any major changes made as a result of this. However, improvements are always being made to adherence to flight procedures and minimising the effect of aircraft noise on the surrounding areas, but until they make jet aircraft that fly like gliders, there will always be aircraft noise and depending on where you live, that will vary.
If you need any help having the spirograph map explained, I'd be happy to help with any queries you have.

PS - listening to some ABBA! ;)
grrgerald

Golf Delta wrote:.
If you need any help having the spirograph map explained, I'd be happy to help with any queries you have.
PS - listening to some ABBA! ;)
Looks like I've found my Waterloo !

Thanks for the offer Golf Delta.

So as I cocked this thread up I am now going to admit to liking an Adam and the Ants track. "Stand and Deliver" was being used in a tv commercial so I downloaded some Ant tracks for my daughter to have a listen to (cough).
The track is called "Wonderful". Ok dunnit, you can all have a good larf now !
LeicesterBee

Moonchild_Bee wrote: Worked in travel most of my working life - and now run a small niche Tour Operator.
Really.......that's interesting. I too have worked in travel all my life and now work for a leading interantional cruise line.

Out of interest, what is the name of your business and any vacancies as I am on the look out for a job! :D (PM me if you prefer)
barnetboy1

Apparently;in Stevenage;people still look up and point when a plane goes over.
BEEGONE

Haha I can sit and watch planes take off and land all day long.....
Phil The Force

Grrgerald:
Adam Ant is playing at the 100 club tonight (27th) if you're interested.
£50 +vat to get in though :-(
grrgerald

Phil The Force wrote:Grrgerald:
Adam Ant is playing at the 100 club tonight (27th) if you're interested.
£50 +vat to get in though :-(
Oh well, I missed that.

Golfie, this thread has changed names as many times as the flightpaths !!!

Listening to Black Eyed Peas.